Friday, July 17, 2009

He's Having the Time of His Life

"Brendan is having the time of his life. Are you having fun Brendan?" "YES!" These are the words that I heard from my sister and son when I called this morning. My sister told me that she is taking a lot of photos. She said that Brendan had slept with a gecko for two hours and that he was disappointed to learn that he could not bring home the hermit crabs that he had caught. Then, she passed the phone to Brendan, explaining that he would share what he had been doing.

"We went deep sea fishing today. We left at six in the morning." I could hear the excitement in my son's voice as he told me this. He went on to share that he had caught six small fish that went from his finger tips to a little bit past the end of his hand. He exclaimed, "I could see their teeth." He also caught a 2 1/2 foot fish. He told me, "The boat was going really fast (making the sound of a boat going through the water). I had my fishing rod from Bopa and there was a professional fishing rod. As the boat went really fast (sound effects), the fishing rod went (more sound effects). It was really hard to hold onto the fishing rod with the big fish on the end. I was using something that looked like a fish with its head cut off to catch the fish. Oh and guess what? First, Dot threw up and then Aunt Lala threw up. They were sea sick." I don't think that my son has ever sounded as animated as he did today.

After they returned from deep sea fishing, they spent a little bit of time on the beach. Brendan informed me that he had caught a chameleon with horns on its head and spikes on its back, saying, "The chameleon went from my fingertips all the way to my elbow." Have I ever told you that my son tends to be fearless of anything in nature?

My dad is enjoying my sister's and Brendan's visit. He shared that Brendan will remember his visit when he is 90. He also told me that the neighbors are very happy that he has family visiting. Tonight, they are eating chicken, thanks to his neighbors. As the last photo that I shared the other day showed, the people in Rodrigues are very happy and friendly.

Thank you, God, for blessing Brendan and my sister with this opportunity to visit my dad. Please bring them home safely.