Saturday, July 25, 2009

Patience is a Virtue

I spoke to my dad this morning (Brendan was playing with the neighbor children and my sister was taking a shower).

He told me that they had gone to "Bird Island" for my sister's birthday. As he and my sister looked at the birds, Brendan decided to sit in the water, shirt and all. They wondered what he was doing, as they saw him going down in the water occasionally. Eventually, Brendan came running to them, saying, "Look what I caught." He was holding two fish, one in each hand. My dad asked him, "How did you catch the fish?" He replied, "I sat quietly and watched them. When they came close, I caught them."

"Look, Mom, no hooks!"

My dad shared that Brendan caught seven fish in all. In addition to catching the two with his bare hands, he also caught two on one line.

My dad and sister enjoyed seeing Brendan dance the Sega.

At one point, my dad started to say that he wished they weren't leaving, but he stopped and changed the subject. I know that my dad will miss Brendan and my sister, but I also know that they will miss him. My dad left 3 1/2 years ago and during that time, hardly a week goes by when Brendan does not mention his Bopa (not including praying for him every night). Thank you, God, for blessing them with an enjoyable time together. Please help Brendan and my sister to return home safely. I wish my dad were coming, too.